Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Klen House Radio #28

We start off the new year with a bang: a pair of songs from the creative team of Guido & Maurizio De Angelis, a pair of Italian brothers from the 70s who pumped out reams of absolutely ludicrous disco tracks for Z-grade schlock movies with names like Atlantis Interceptor and Watch out, We're Mad. The first of these, the unbelievable theme from Yor, The Hunter From the Future holds a special place in my heart because I watched the hell out of that movie when I was younger, possibly the first movie I ever watched ironically. Everyone knows XTC's Skylarking, a glossy 80s take on The Beach Boys doing the soundtrack to The Wicker Man, but recently Andy Partridge remastered it extensively and put it out on LP, with the original rejected cover art (some of my favorite cover art for an album ever, but I'd get smacked on the wrists if I put it up here, so go find it yerself). Grab your old copy of the album and then listen to this mix of 'Season Cycle', dig how much punchier the bass sounds. A few years ago I worked a miserable job at a major chain bookstore, one of the only thing that kept me going was the ability to put on 'Physical Cities' by jazz combo The Bad Plus and drive all the customers insane.

1. Guido & Maurizio De Angelis - Yor's World
2. XTC - Season Cycle (2010 mix)
3. Bongwater - The Drum
4. Masafumi Takada - Rave On
   -Commercial: Chung King Chow Mein-
5. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel - Satan Place
6. The Bad Plus - Physical Cities
7. Guido & Maurizio De Angelis - Black Inferno

Ring in the new year 8 days late with Klen House!
Pick up the new mix of Skylarking over at Andy Partidge's record label.
Ann Magnuson, formerly of Bongwater, does pretty well for herself now.
So does Jim Thirlwell of Foetus!

And for our addendum, one of my favorite clips on the internet, Ann Magnuson as Ophelia starring alongside Kestutis Nakas' Hamlet. I'm so going to rip this off someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment