Thursday, August 2, 2012

KHR #11: Spotlight on Bill Doss






It's with a heavy heart that I put up a Artist Spotlight on the incomparable Bill Doss, who passed away just two days ago on the 31st of July. I first heard Doss' band, The Olivia Tremor Control, when I was 18 or 19, I remember picking up a copy of their first album, Music for the Unrealized Film Script 'Dusk at Cubist Castle' and being unable to listen to it past the first track, so blown away was I by its magnificence that I just replayed it over and over a good 12 or 13 times. The OTC had that special something, that straddling of pop and experimental tendencies, that so few artists are able to get across reliably, and even though they only put out two albums (with a third apparently in the works when this mess happened) they are two of the absolute best albums of my generation; I can still listen to Dusk and its followup Black Foliage and be absolutely astounded that these incredible sounds were initially made on 4-track tape recorders. I met Bill once, and even then only for about 25 seconds after a show, but it was such a wonderful experience to me, and one that I won't soon forget. Hopefully this show will make all of you who haven't heard Bill's music rush out and buy it, and I tried to include some curiosities for those who already have the records. Rest well Bill, you earned it.

1. Love Athena
2. The Sylvan Screen
3. Sun at Night
4. I'm Not Feeling Human (Peel Session)
    -Commercial: Menthol Fresh Consulate-
5. California Demise 3 (NPR Session)
6. Digging to China
7. Queen Misery
8. Courtyard
9. Hilltop Procession (Momentum Gaining)

You know the jolly show must go on, right here!
Check out the definitive editions of Bill's records at the Chunklet Store, thanks to the always wonderful Henry H. Owings!
William Cullen Hart, the John to Bill's Paul, also runs a record label at Cloud Recordings, where you can buy CDs as well as Will's absolutely stunning paintings.
And finally, if you have the funds to spare, consider making a donation to Nuci's Space, a nonprofit health and resource center dedicated to assisting musicians in staying emotionally and physically well.

No comments:

Post a Comment